Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 23:14:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        john@starfire.mn.org
Subject:   Re: Strange messages from my 2.1.0 kernel

As john@starfire.mn.org wrote:

> > > fhtovp: file start miss 1946157056 vs 68
> >
> > It might mean you have two nfsnodes pointing to the same vnode...
> > Or it might mean someone is trying to NFS hack your system...
> > Or it might be an mmap() of an NFS file on an FS with a 4k block
> > size and an NFS rzise/wsize of 8K, or vice versa...

Or it might be that Terry forgot to use grep(1), so he didn't notice
that these messages are from cd9660 f/s...  Actually, the cd9660 code
is by far too blatant in spitting out kernel printf's whenever it is
going to reject a request with a ``stale file handle'' response.

> Oh!  OK!  That makes perfect sense, then.  A remote system had had
> my CD NFS mounted, but I rebooted, and my CD does not get automatically
> booted on mount (I hate to automatically mount removeable media).

Why do you hate this?  Because someone (IMHO stupidly) made a failure
mounting a CD-ROM a fatal error?  This can easily be avoided (and i do
avoid it).  I always disliked this idea.

Simply reorganize your /etc/rc so that only mount failures for
filesystems that are essential for you will abort the script.  Take
away the `noauto' for the CD-ROM, and simply try mounting it at boot
time.  If it's not there, /etc/rc will go on without complaints
(except from mountd later about not being able to change the NFS
export attributes for /cdrom, but that's benign).

--
cheers, J"org