Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI3 cables

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Brett Glass wrote:
>
> > Granite Digital is the best, and is not that expensive.
>
> I just checked their website, and their most inexpensive 3 foot 68 pin
> cable was $149.  That's the single most expensive cable I've yet found,
> and costs quite a bit more than the controller.  I didn't even look at
> their more expensive, sliver and gold cables.  You may be right on their
> quality, but isn't that price a little overkill?  Or does SCSI wide really
> need that kind of care?

  SCSI wide does not require that kind of "care", nor does SCSI-II, but
ultra SCSI does.  The clock rate is doubled, and cable quality is
important.

  For me, buying a $150 cable for a $15K server is really good deal, and
much better than pissing around for days getting rid of SCSI errors... but
not everyone builds $15K boxes.

Tom