Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 12:33:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        WOLF <travis@interlog.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: begginer looking at FreeBSD

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, WOLF wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         My name is Brandon and  have been researching BSD for the past
> couple of days, and I am wondering what I should do, I was hoping you could
> help me.
>
>         Ok here is my problems.  I have two networked machines in my house
> both running win95 and winnt.  I have access to a 386 computer which I can
> run Free BSD on.  What I am thinking of doing is getting the computer and
> installing a modem and a network card on it so it can be on my network.
> With this computer running BSD I want it to dial up to my internet service
> provider and act as a router for my two computers on the network so they can
> access the internet.

This is common and prety easy.  Unfortunately routing through a 386 is
pretty slow, but since you're going over a slow link you probably won't
notice it :)

> The system I have in place right now for getting my computer withought
> the phone line to access the internet is a wingate proxy server which is
> OK for accessing web pages, but I can not play games over the net on my
> computer behind the firewall because it is not directly connected, it
> only sends its requests to the proxy server.  With the FreeBSD running
> on the 386 I am hoping that it will act as a router and actually allow
> my other two computers on the network to be registered on the internet.
> So far, does this idea sound feasable?

This depends if your ISP allows that.  Most don't, they only grant one IP
per dialup line.  You'll need to run an address translator on the FreeBSD
box to get the homenet on.  Just give ppp the -alias option to set this
up.

>         Ok the next use for FreeBSD is to have my friend dial up to my
> FreeBSD server/router, and get BSP to route the requests back and forth
> amongst the two computers  on the network and the computer connected over
> the telephone line so it is just like a miny internet.  I would be using the
> TCP/ip protocol to communicate amongst the computer.  Can FreeBSD handle
> this sort of protocol, and can I install a modem on the system?

No problem; you only have to set up the dialup line and the route.  I
suggest using pppd for dialup lines, it understands them better than user
ppp.  You may want to install mgetty to help you control the modem in an
intelligent way.

I suggest referencing http://www.freebsd.org to answer your questions; if
you have any more or need clarification please contact us.