Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:55:04 -0600
From:      TOPCAT CONSULTING <topcat@sk.sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   determining PPP connection speed?

How would one configure ppp to report the speed at which
my modem connects to my ISP's modem?

I'm using FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE and from 'show version':
PPP Version 2.11 - $Date: 1999/05/02 08:59:38 $

Oh, I can do it manually, with "ppp" then "term" and then
ATDT15554443333
and watching the screen, but is this the ONLY way to see
the connected speed?  I'm suspecting that many times
I'm only connecting at 14.4 or 28.8 at best.  When I connect
at 14.4, I'd like to know so I can disconnect, and hope that a redial
will negotiate a higher speed.  (Very poor rural telephone line--
Very expensive USR 56K Courier External modem)

:-)