Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2006 12:06:10 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: jail leak

Am 04.02.2006 um 07:44 schrieb Kris Kennaway:

> I changed the package build scripts to build in jails instead of
> chroots, but I am seeing what look like leaks in the list of jails:
>
> dosirak# jls
>    JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
>    271  10.0.225.48     jail-57648                    /c/pkgbuild/6/
> chroot/57648
>    112  10.0.119.181    jail-30645                    /c/pkgbuild/6/
> chroot/30645
> dosirak# pgrep -lfj 112
> dosirak# jls
>    JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path
>    112  10.0.119.181    jail-30645                    /c/pkgbuild/6/
> chroot/30645
>
> i.e. jail 112 has nothing running inside it, but it is still hanging
> around.  Is there a good reason for this, or is it in fact a leak?

This question has come up a number of times before.  It appears the
jail will only go away after all resources associated with that jail
are returned.  Unfortunatly, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to
identify which resources are still allocated to it...

We're running one 5-stable box with 7 jails, and so far, those
phantoms have all disappeared eventually.

Stefan

--
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 170 346 0140