Date:      Sun, 14 May 2017 20:40:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Printer advice

OP here.

First, thanks to all for your responses.

Second, let me clarify that I would really prefer to stay away from CUPS
if possible. I use lpr and printcap, with occasional printing from
applications whose names start with "gn." What I'm after is a printer
that works out of the box with minimal hassle.

My main reason for hesitating on the HP M553n was that the specs claim
support for "HP postscript level 3 emulation," which seems to be not the
same thing as actual postscript. It would also be swell if I could avoid
complications like hplip.

And thanks to Valeri's <rant> I will be very leery of Xerox products;
that Phaser I mentioned (6515DN) is probably out of the running now due
to the chance of it becoming a Supplies Orphan. One thing I like about
HP is that they seem to make consumables for many years after the
product is discontinued. Toner, fusers etc. are still available for the
old 4550N after these many years.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]