Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 19:05:22 -0400
From:      Brad Bates <bab@icon.lal.ufl.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Jon Paxton'" <jon@ncuk.com>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and Linux...

Jon,

With the group's blessing, I will give this a shot.  FreeBSD is a
derivative of the BSD UNIX and its ancestors.  It has a long and
solid history.  Primary differences between this and other flavors
of UNIX are:

	Its free (some others are too).
	Its more secure than other forms of free UNIX (opinion).
	It is able to do what you are looking to do with little hassle.

It is also well-supported via mail groups, news groups, and the
web sites, and fairly easy to learn (I am training others on it).

However, it is not Windows, and it does not look or feel like the
Microsoft products.  You will have to read up on it via the web
sites and/or some of the better publications to decide if that is
a problem or not, but many will tell you that UNIX, any UNIX,
is preferable to NT, regardless of what you want to do (stand
by for rocks and flames here).

I use both.  UNIX is my choice for mail services because it is
more mature, probably more secure than NT, way cheaper than
NT will ever be, and much easier to administer (for me).  Web
services are easier to administer in NT (opinion), but not they
are not bad on UNIX, and they probably run more efficiently on
smaller systems than NT will every hope for from this point on.
The only reason I use NT at all is because we have it where I
work - it is not my cup of tea, but it is what we use.

You do not need to buy anything (except a PC) to run FreeBSD.
You can connect any useable system to the Internet and have it
running this operating system in a few hours.  Check out all of the
instructions in the documentation pages and give it a shot - it will
only cost you your time.

Brad Bates