Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:08:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Steve Bishop <steveb@veriohosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, "Paul.Marquess@btinternet.com" <Paul.Marquess@btinternet.com>
Subject:   Re: mbuf problem (panic)--possibly related to Berkeley DB 2.7.7

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Steve Bishop wrote:

> I am using FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE, and it is running on a single processor PII 400.
>
> At first, I thought the problem was due to the network driver, so I swapped network
> cards.  But, the problem still continues to occur.  At first, I used a DEC (de0) NIC.
> Then, I switched to an Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet (fxp0).
>
> My machine dies when it runs out of mbufs.  Normally, one only associates mbufs with
> network usage, and network (NIC) drivers.  I have tried to investigate this possibility,
> as mentioned, but to no avail.

Gah! wrap long lines please!

> The problem is either a kernel problem, or  is related to the Berkeley DB, and/or
> perl module - BerkeleyDB-0.07.pm.  I have written to Paul Marquess who is the
> author of this perl module.  He did not respond, and may not have any idea.  The latest
> release of this perl module is a significant update to the perl support for the latest releases of Berkeley DB.
> It provides for concurrency and database integrity (consistency) between processes sharing
> or using the same database simultaneously.
>
> There are a number of scripts, I have written, in the system that run (as processes) in parallel.
>  This is why I am using the Concurrent Access Method (CAM) to allow multiple simultaneous
> readers along with sequential write (one writer at a time) access.  Berkeley DB keeps everything
> consistent.
>
> The scripts are designed to use the database a lot, and they also use a significant amount
> of network resources.  The scripts sometimes can have up to 900 open tcp connections,
>  and consistently use almost 600.  I have increased the number of mbuf clusters (NMBCLUSTERS)
> from 1024 to 4096.  I have also increased maxusers to 64.

please up maxusers to 256 and NMBCLUSTERS to 32768 or 16384 you
may also want to increase the Kernel's memory area via kern.vm.kmem.size
in the loader (see LOADER(8)).

I would suggest upping maxusers, then NMBCLUSTERS and finally
kern.vm.kmem.size in that order inclusive.

good luck,
-Alfred