Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:01:53 -0500
From:      Antonio Rieser <tonyrieser@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Donald Allen <donaldcallen@gmail.com>
Subject:   Gnucash slow startup on FreeBSD 7.1

Hi,

I recently installed GnuCash 2.2.7, guile 1.8.5, slib 3a4, and libtool
1.5.26, libltdl ?  (all the latest ports cvsup) on FreeBSD 7.1 on an Acer
Aspire 1680 (laptop).  When I start gnucash, it then takes a VERY long time
(~2 minutes) before I see the gnucash tip of the day and intro image.  The
tip of the day then takes another ~1 minute before it will respond to a
mouse-click.

If I remove my network connection, it takes an as yet undetermined amount of
time to start (>6 minutes).

After a little googling, it seems that slow startup was a known problem on
earlier versions of FreeBSD, but one which should have been fixed with the
patches that came with the port.

When I run

tross -o gnucash_startup gnucash
cat gnucash_startup | grep ERR

with the network attached, I see that gnucash runs through a list of
directories several times (around 30), looking for the files libswigrun.so,
libswigrun.la, swigrun, and swigrun.scm, none of which exist on my system
according to locate (with a new locate.database).  Could this be the source
of my problem?

Any help would be heartily appreciated.

Thanks,

  Tony