Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:01:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Arisandy <sandy@divre5.telkom.co.id>, Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Linux crashes (was: Mail server....)

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sunday, 25 April 1999 at  3:15:50 -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Apr 1999, Arisandy wrote:
> >
> >> thanks for reply my RAID 0,1 question...
> >> Any sugesstion for build reliable mail server...in FreeBSD?
> >> our free mail server run on RH Linux 5.2 + Qmail +Vmailmgr
> >> always down/crash on 20th day....?
> >
> > Heh, I sincerely doubt you will have that problem with FreeBSD,
> > FreeBSD is focused towards the reliable server market and that makes
> > it worth a try.  Please email this list or me directly if you
> > have other problems with your FreeBSD experiance.
>
> It's also not quite typical of Linux to fail that often.  Unless you
> know the reason for the crashes, it's possible that it could be a
> hardware problem, in which case you'll probably see similar problems
> running FreeBSD on it.

I've found it quite common to have a linux box "not come back" from
extreme resource starvation whereas a freebsd box will recover
from the same situation more often.

Such situtations include out of control netscape processes, and mistaking
the ammount of parralelism in certain projects and just typing "gmake -j"

Not saying that freebsd boxes are invlunerable to this sort of thing, but
it has a better chance of surviving from my experiance.

-Alfred