Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2006 22:23:27 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Steven Friedrich <FreeBSD@insightbb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: xorg-nestserver won't build on 4.11, says stdint.h missing

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 08:32:47PM -0500, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> On Friday 08 December 2006 19:27, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:19:27PM -0500, Steven Friedrich wrote:
> > > I've been having a really weird video problem on my two machines when
> > > running 4.11.  My 4.11 machines run XFree86 4.5.0
> > >
> > > I have a dual-head setup I've been using for a few years.  Recently, =
the
> > > left monitor looks like it has a vertical sync problem, but I'm pretty
> > > sure it's not the video hardware, because only host "lightning" have =
the
> > > problem until today.  Now "daemon" also has it.  I can pull the drives
> > > out (mobile racks) and put FreeBSD 6.1 in and these don't have the
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > So I thought I'd switch to xorg.  But when I try to build xorg-nestse=
rver
> > > or xorg-server, the build breaks complaining that stdint.h doesn't ex=
ist.

> > > Can anyone confirm that these ports will build under 4.11?
> >
> > It's possible you're the first person to try it.  You really should
> > try to migrate off of 4.x, maintainers are not required to support it
> > and all support will soon be terminated.
> >
> > Kris
> oki doki.
>=20
> From perusing the web site, I can see that I have to upgrade thru the 5.x=
=20
> series first, if I do a source upgrade.  If I do a binary upgrade, I can =
go=20
> straight to 6.1, right?
>=20
> Opps, I've been reading the Install notes for 5.x and I can't do a binary=
=20
> pgrade from 4.x.

It's possible to do a binary upgrade to 6.1 (or 6.2-rc1 if you want
extra bug fixes), with some extra steps.  Make sure you install the
source tree, then do

cd /usr/src
make delete-old

to delete old files which can cause problems for later builds (this is
what the 5.5 install notes warn about).

Then you will need to upgrade your /etc using mergemaster (see the
docs).

You'd have to do both of these steps anyway if you were doing a source
upgrade, so you've still saved yourself the time and effort.

Kris

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--