Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:13:16 -0500
From:      Benjamin Flom <benf@nexgen.com>
To:        mike@sentex.net
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3Ware + Supermicro + FreeBSD 4.2 Stable + Apache

In seeing that you have responded to many inquiries regarding 3ware
controllers and that you were running an P6DBU, I was hoping you may be
able to help me with a problem we have been having:

We are running a Dual PIII, 1 GB RAM (Infeneon and NEC), Supermicro
370DLE, xpert98 PCI, Intel Etherpro100+. We are using IBM drives on a
3Ware Escalade 6800, and the on board floppy disk controller

i just installed FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE > went to www.apache.org
<http://www.apache.org>; and downloaded apache-1.3.19.tar.gz file > then
i did tar -zxvf apache-1.3.19.tar.gz ; cd apache-1.3.19 ; ./configure
;

>  > make ; make install
>  > > after i tryed to start apache by /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl
> start
>  > i got this on three identical machines
>  > bash-2.04# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
>  > Segmentation fault - core dumped
>  > /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
>  > bash-2.04#
>  > > please note that that was a clean installation of OS and Apache(no

modules)

We have successfully compiled and run these programs so far bash, lynx,
perl, mysql, openssh, openssl, wget. The only recognizable problem so
far is Apache.

We think this has something to do with the 3Ware controller because we
are running the exact same machine with an Adaptec 3200S (DPT VI)
instead of the Escalade 6800 right next to the problem machines with an
otherwise identical setup. Also, we ran into some hitches earlier on,
but these were taken care of by flashing the 3Ware controllers with the
latest version of the firmware, which is what they are now running.