Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:08:58 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: update on port configurator.

I wrote earlier,
> I'm not an expert on XML or GTK, so if I'm doing something wrong with
> either, I'd appreciate a pointer (obviously I'm trying to be buzzword
> compliant). I'll have source for gportconf linked up tomorrow.

I learnt dialog and now have a similarly functional console version.

GUI version is at http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/portconf/pcgtk-0.01.tar.gz,
and requires the gtk12 and libxml ports.

Console is at http://rucus.ru.ac.za/~nbm/portconf/pcdlg-0.01.tar.gz,
and requires the libxml port.

Code is ugly, untidy, and has memory leaks.

A quick recap - I'm proposing either an addition in _PORT_USE, or an
additional target using _PORT_USE, which calls a client program, which is
expected to create Makefile.portconf (or another name, passed by make on
the command line) from files/portconf.xml (or similarly another name),
depending on the choices the user provides.

In batch mode, set when BATCH is set, the client program returns the
properties given to the default (or another, passed on command line)
class, without displaying their user-interface.

This Makefile.portconf is then .include'd by bsd.port.mk, and will
allow easy and user-friendly customization of ports build, similar to
apache13-php3, and most unlike the common hidden make variable tweaks to
customize ports.

Another bonus, theoretically, is the ability to build multiple packages
from one port, with one command.  Upon being passed the correct make
variables on the "package" target to indicate multiple package build,
or maybe on a "multi-package" target, make grabs a list of classes
to build from ${PORTCONF_TARGETS} and does a "make package deinstall
clean BATCH=1 PORTCONF_CLASS=${PORTCONF_TARGET}" for each of the given
targets.  (The targets are expected to modify PKGNAME on their own)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za