Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:52:58 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Adam Ulmer <aulmer@veriohosting.com>
To:        Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad T20 rejects FreeBSD  Was: FreeBSD 4.1 on IBM Thinkpad T20

I tried to install freebsd 4.1 on a Thinkpad A20m.  I went through several
permutations and ended up with a useless brick each time.  (All while
trying to attend USENIX!  Very frustrating to work from a hotel room.)

I too thought that I had to get a second hard but after 3 to 6 hours I was
able to duplicate and repair (no data loss) the process.  I had to have
IBM cancel the fedex of a new drive. :P

The machine has 12GB harddrive and partition magic 5.0 rescue disks were
used to make equally sized partitions for the default win2k, redhat, and
freebsd. Unfortunately, I could get freebsd installed but never to boot.
I even stumbled into getting the freebsd bootmanager installed and it
would boot the win2k partition.  I could not repeat that, though.  The
win2k has data that needs to stay intact as my co-workers also use the
thinkpad so the experimentation had to end.

As soon as I get the laptop back I will try to get a bootmanager installed
(LILO, perhaps).  If anyone has any recommendations, I'm open to other
ideas (but the laptop has to boot 3 different OS's).

Also, everyone that I met at the USENIX conference that ran freebsd on a
laptop ran
-current and not 4.1.  Sadly, I did not meet anyone else that had an A20
(or T20).

So I guess I am reporting some partial success WRT freebsd 4.1 on the new
thinkpads, but not a complete success.  :(  I'll be sure to report to
freebsd-mobile when I have full success.

Adam Ulmer