Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 15:33:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "Lasse G. Dahl" <lgd@earthling.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Installation hangs at "Probing Devices"

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Lasse G. Dahl wrote:
> After searching through freebsd.org with no luck, I write to this list hoping there is anybody out there that might give me a hint or two.
>
> I need an "UNIX like" system in some classes I am taking, and was recommended FreeBSD since it it supposed to be easy to install and run on low-end machines. But I am a completely newbie in this world (that's why I'm taking the classes), my computing ex
perience is from the dos/windows/basic world.

> Anyway, on to my problem.
>
> I DLed the latest version (3.something), got it on CDs, made the floppies and all that. Then on to the PC, a DEC 486 with 405 MB HD, CDrom and a DEC 205 nic. Reformatted the HD, made a small DOS partision and left > 300 MB unformatted.

Make your small dos partition like 10MB.  If you need it at all it'll
just be for hw setup utilities.

> In with disk one, power on, loading without any errors, or so it looked to me anyway, in with disk two, same thing, and there was the meny. I choose "Novice" and here we go:
>
> First time I messed up a bit with configurations, but got rid of the conflicts, and on to the menu. But: No CD rom or HD. OK Error, try again.
>
> Second time, very carefully, found my IDE disk, found CD rom, found the NIC, had to adjust the I/O value there, and - "Probing devices"
>
> How long is that supposed to take?

30 seconds or so.  According to a post here earlier today, you need to
set flags 0x40 on device ppc to prevent hanging on some machines.  This
is the parallel port driver and it is probing for all the newish parallel
port modes so your older hardware may be freaking out.

Choose the Visual Configuration thing from the menu you get right after boot,
locate ppc and set the value for flags to 0x40 and try again.

Good luck.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com