Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 09:40:14 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        dan@slightlystrange.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 2.9, FreeBSD 4.5

At 04:18 PM 4/2/2002 +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
>The daemon produces these messages in syslog:
>
>... sshd[$PID]: error: openpty: No such file or directory
>... sshd[$PID]: error: Failed to allocate pty.
>
>I seem to have the full complement of ptys, and all seem to have the
>right permissions, ownership and device numbers.  I am now truly
>baffled.  Anyone else seen this and would like to lead this poor
>sucker into the light?  Please?  ;-)

Two things have come up that I've seen, which can cause this.

1) all the ptys are in use, or
2) your kernel doesn't actually have pty support built in

Do you have something like this in the kernel?  Maybe it was accidently
commented out:

pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

--
Christopher Schulte
http://www.schulte.org/