Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:51:59 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Raul Zighelboim <rzig@verio.net>
Cc:        "'David E. Cross'" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 1 Gbyte of ram

>Then I do not understand.. I have 3*256 megs on the system, the biios
>counts them, freebsd 2.2.6 counts them, then panics with 'memory out of
>range'... neither the install floppy nor the kernel.GENERIC were able to
>boot with 768megs.

   You'll need to be more specific than "memory out of range". It's possible
that bounce buffers are still killing installs on large machines. So, pull
out some memory, install FreeBSD, configure/build/install a kernel without
the BOUNCE_BUFFERS option, and then put the memory back in.

>BTW will a news server qualify as a system with lots of TCP connections
>and the need of lots of mbufs ?

   Probably not. Most large news servers handle on the order of perhaps
100-200 TCP connections. When I say "large number", I mean in the thousands.

-DG

David Greenman