Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 12:24:44 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        cr@jcmax.com (Cyrus Rahman)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel deadlocks

Cyrus,

good job!  I need to think this thru but it sounds plausable.  what I don't
understand yet is why the cpu is spinning waiting for the the IPI to be
delivered.  it should just queue up in the local APIC of the target CPU.
the only thing I can think of is that the taget APIC's buffer (its fifo is only
2 entries deep) must be full, which would indeed cause what you are describing.
I desperately need to finish a job for one of my clients, but will hopefully
be able to get to this latter this week.  Now that the probelm is identified
I don't think the fix will be that hard.

thanx again!

--
Steve Passe	| powered by