Date:      30 Jun 99 02:45:46 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: My FreeBSD Experience ]]]

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:
> > > There is a difference between taking away options, and taking away
> > > useless options.
> > > =

> > > For example, it should be impossible to install x86 FreeBSD without=

> > > writing a DOS partition table and a DOS-capable MBR, and it should
> > > be impossible to install Alpha FreeBSD without a similar DEC-UNIX
> > > compatible record.  That the tools permit something like that
> > > occuring at all is a commentary on the foibles of the tools.
> >
> >     Wait, I disagree with you Terry. I beleive the issue
> >     one using a DOS-capable MBR is pretty well in-hand.
> >     The way the installation currently works you get
> >     a DOS-capable MBR bt default. =

> > =

>...........[MAJOR SNIP]..............
> =

> A friend of mine recent upgraded from 2.something release to
> 3.something release.  This is a UNIX engineer who has decases of
> computer experience under his belt.  It took him, literally, 3
> tries and about 6 hours to do this supposedly simple task.  This
> was primarily the fault of the boot block changes, the fact that
> by default, the "obviously correct action" in a number of areas
> was the wrongest possible thing you could do (luckily, he had
> tape backups of his /usr -- I told you he had experience), and
> the /etc reorganization being poorly supported on upgrade.
> =

> If a UNIX engineer has this sort of trouble, then an ordinary
> mortal who is not even UNIX literate is going to have a much worse
> time of it.
> =

    I see your point, but no solution. I know the =

    boot block is badly documented. As a matter of fact,
    the documentation in FreeBSD is incorrect, or at least the =

    notes.

    May notes I see, in the code and occasionaly in man(1)
    pages are just wrong.  Mind you I not going to run
    down these daemons I just don't have the energy for
    a fight like that. =

    In any case, I move camps, IF you can present a
    decent alternative. Never mind the political battle, if =

    you have a worthy idea, I will at least read (listen).
    If I agree, you'll get my support and voice. (if you want)

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml