Date:      Tue, 09 Mar 1999 12:08:16 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, dkulp@neomorphic.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

Before people get all armoured and heads for the windmills, let me
just throw in a few observations from my corner:

PCCARDs are just one instance of dynamic hardware.  Undoubtedly the
most prolific and worst designed, but still just one kind.

We should step backwards one step and review the generic case just
one bit before we rush in and code, this is where the PAO effort has
failed most:  They didn't design, they coded.

Making a BSD kernel (or any classical UNIX kernel) aware and tolerant
of devices coming and going all the time is no light task, and if
it is just hacked in (see: PAO), the result will predictably be a
mess.

One "minor detail" is that all drivers should be probe/attached
AFTER the kernel is in "normal state", ie, with timeouts and
interrupts working and all that.  (Alert people will have noticed
that Sorens new ata driver does this :-)

Obviously this should be tied into the "new bus" stuff, since that
will be the frame work for future dynamic devices to work in (cardbus!)

In other words:  Yes, go for it, but don't focus blindly on pccards...

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!