Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 12:18:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee
Cc:        brooks@one-eyed-alien.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gimme FreeBSD anyday!

j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:
> | The stereotypical unix worstation uses are:
> | 	* SUN - cad/eda
> | 	* HP - GIS and similar
> | 	* SGI - scientific visualisation
>
> CAD i know, but what are EDA and GIS?

Electronic Design and Automation
Geographical Information System

> And why is Sun better for CAD, anyway?  Can't NT or M$ do just as well?

Its an area Sun and Unix got a solid foothold before Microsoft's
nose was able to smell $.

Microsoft would have the world to believe NT is just as good as Unix.
But those I have known who spend their careers on CAD workstations have
learned to leverage the tool nature of Unix and minimize the grunt work.
And when one spends over $50k per seat one has the right to expect
higher quality than Microsoft delivers.

NT's "we know better than you" GUI doesn't cut the mustard.

> And is there really that much of a demand for esoteric uses such as these?

The EDA market is huge. It doesn't take very many $50k seats (software
only) before it adds up. The shrinkwrap schematic and PCB portion is
only a small slice of the EDA pie.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net (hm)