Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:21:38 -0500
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz.freebsd@gmail.com>
To:        nanoman@nanoman.ca
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WANT_GNOME Causes Automatic Dependencies

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:22 PM, A.J. Kehoe IV (Nanoman)
<nanoman@nanoman.ca> wrote:
> WANT_GNOME causes automatic dependencies.  This causes problems for port and
> package management, as described in the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook on the
> "Dependencies" page under "Problems Caused by Automatic Dependencies":
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-depend.html

I agree, I have got rid of it in bsd.mate.mk.

> To solve this problem, I'm creating a new port called misc/gnome-components.
> This "meta-port" will define all the optional dependencies from
> Mk/bsd.gnome.mk as OPTIONS.  In Mk/bsd.gnome.mk, the whole automatic
> dependencies section will be replaced with one line:
>
> RUN_DEPENDS+=   gnome-components:${PORTSDIR}/misc/gnome-components
>
> I hope to have this finished by tomorrow (2012-08-31).  If anyone has any
> suggestions or alternative solutions, I'm very interested to hear what you
> have to say.

But.. I disagree with the method you are doing there. You can't just
do a sweep, because there is actually a few that do not provide flag
option to disable it. You need to do it by manual and remove the
HAVE_GNOME or convert it to OPTIONS if it allows you to. I prefer
anyone to do a real fix/clean instead of band-aid
(misc/gnome-components).

Cheers,
Mezz

--