Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:17:18 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        paul@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Public Domain

<<On Mon, 18 Sep 1995 14:41:05 +0100 (BST), Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk> said:

> I've never been sure how to determine whether something actually
> is in the public domain though. According to someone at NCSA, who
> I've been discussing licensing with for Apache, you just need a
> notice that says "This code is placed in the public domain".

The legal situation is rather weird, I am given to understand.  In
some countries (including some Berne signatories), there simply is no
such thing as ``public domain'' within the period where copyright is
held to exist.  In general, from an international legal perspective,
it's almost always a better idea to claim copyright on something and
then disclaim all of the attendant rights, rather than to use the
public domain tradition which does not legally exist everywhere.  (By
contrast, in some non-Berne countries, any work which is published
without a copyright notice is presumptively in the public domain.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.