Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:31:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dorin H <bj93542@yahoo.com>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: traffic normalizer for ipfw?

--- Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:02:16PM -0800, Dorin H
> wrote:
> >   Is there some way to configure ipfw to do
> traffic
> > normalizing ("scrubbing", as in ipf for OpenBSD)?
<snip>

> We're looking at bringing pf into the tree.

Is it the same thing as the port pf_freebsd-2.03
(/usr/port/security/pf)?  I am mainly familiar  with
ipfw on FBSD.

> If you're talking about traffic shaping, have a look
> at dummynet which is
> already there.

Ok, let me clarify.  I am thinking at the ability to
modify the packet headers on the fly, to mitigate some
of the IDS evasion techniques, and possibly eliminate
other network recons.
I know that pf is able to modify things like IP
minimum TTL, reset Don't Fragment, and so on and I was
wondering if there is a way to do it with ipfw or some
additional plug.
Thank you,
/Dorin.