Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:27:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Wagner <dawagner@vt.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Jo=E3o=20Fernandes?= <OpsyDopsy@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Network stops working

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jo=E3o Fernandes wrote:

> I have a realtek 8139 and a cable modem. I use DHCP to connect to the net=
work
> and my /etc/dhclient.conf has nothing on it.
>
> My problems are:
> =09The speed of my connections are way slower in FreeBSD than are
> in windows;  To the extent of downloading at 2 kps when in windows I
> would download the same file from the same site at 70kps.

Well, I have a theory, because I had somewhat similar behavior.  Some
cable modem + nic combinations have trouble autdetecting the line speed.
Try forcing your connection to 10BaseT half duplex (which is almost
guaranteed to be what the cable modem supports).  Example:

% ifconfig rl0 media 10baseT/UTP

This managed to triple my connection speed in most cases...