Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:16:35 -0400
From:      Jesse Sheidlower <jester@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with IR

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7 on an IBM X23 ThinkPad. I've been having
some problems getting infrared to work, and haven't been able to
get things working, even after searching the archives of this list
and of the Net in general.

Kernel seems to be OK:

monopoly~ $ dmesg | grep sio
[...]
sio0: configured irq 4 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 8250
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

I've installed birda through ports, and it went fine. My problem
seems to be that I can't get my pseudo-terminal working; when I
try to start it up I get:

monopoly~ # irs -d /dev/ttyd1 -y /dev/ptypv -c
Cannot open pty

The irs program itself seems to be working, as I can run it
off ttyd1 and output to STDOUT instead of the pty and when I
hold a beaming Palm up to the IR port, I get data on the
screen.

I'm not fully sure how MAKEDEV works, but I've tried a variety of
options, including

monopoly/dev # ./MAKEDEV ptypv
bad unit for pty in: ptypv

and pty0 and other things, some of which "work" but don't affect the
irs output, e.g.

monopoly/dev # ./MAKEDEV pty0
monopoly/dev # irs -d /dev/ttyd1 -y /dev/ptypv -c
Cannot open pty

I assume there's an obvious thing I'm missing here; would someone
be kind enough to tell me what it is?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower