Date:      25 Aug 1999 14:12:19 -0000
From:      vladimir@math.uic.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, greg@rosevale.com.au
Subject:   Re: nis netgroup problems -- explained but not solved

To answer my own question, I have found the following in Solaris FAQ:

Solaris 2 FAQ (p50 of 82)
  4.7) Ypcat doesn't work on the netgroup table on a NIS+ server, why?

   Yes, that is a known problem. The only operations allowed from a NIS client side on the netgroup table are the
   ypmatches, but not ypcat (i.e. no support for yp_first(), yp_next() or yp_all() calls). The netgroup table is kind
   of unique in this. The reason for this is that the netgroup table format changed quite significantly in NIS+ and
   the NIS+ server would take a big performance hit in converting the netgroups table to YP (key-value) format.

I should have checked there before posting.

Argh.    One would think Sun should give users an option to decide whether they want this
"performance hit" or not.    A flag to rpc.nisd for example.

	Vladimir