Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:50:05 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Command not found

Lute Mullenix wrote:

> Just wondering why I get a command not found error when I try to start
> apps that are listed when I run pkg_info.
>
> I'm pretty new at this game.

If you use 'printenv PATH' you can see which directories are automatically
prefixed for you. Commands in those directories, that are in the environ-
ment variable PATH, can be executed without giving the full directory from
root.

An example:
fw# printenv PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:
/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin

This says, that if I is in /root and want to start a program there, I have
to write like this: './program'. If I want to start a program in /bin I do
not have to type '/bin/program' as the path is in the environment variable.

When you have installed a new port/package, that probably is installed to
/usr/local/bin, then do an exit from the shell, login again, and now the
program will be found and started.

Best regards,
Paul