Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:34:13 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DOH! Something PCI-related recently broken in -STABLE

In message <Pine.BSF.4.32.0108171359350.66943-100000@mail.wolves.k12.mo.us> Chris Dillon writes:
: The problem is occurring on a Compaq Proliant ML530, which is a
: ServerWorks ServerSet III LE based system.  The other person that I
: know of seeing this problem (on the -scsi list, thinking it was a RAID
: controller problem) was using a Dell system, probably also ServerSet
: III LE based as well.  I'm also using the most recent -STABLE on a
: SuperMicro 370DE6 which uses the ServerSet III HE-SL, and it has no
: problem with the new code.
:
: I'm about to update the BIOS on the Compaq box (it still has a
: late-1999 BIOS image on it) and see if that makes any difference.
: Could the BIOS matter in this case?

Yes.  It could.  I'm starting to think that we need to have a test for
version 2.10 or higher before using ANY pci bios that appears to be
there.

I posted some patches against the latest -stable
(http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/no-hang.diff.4) that it would be nice
if you could try.  Boot with and without them.  You should be told
your BIOS version (actually, the level of the PCI spec that your BIOS
supports) with them.  If you get a hang, then you can set
hw.pci.ignore_pcibios=1 at the loader prompt (set hw...=1) to see if
that causes the problem to go away.

Warner