Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:33:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kent S. Gordon" <kgor@inetspace.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How did I break my ports tree

I am running a -current system from about 3/20.  I have some how
managed to break the ports collections.  Any Ideas on what I need to
do to get the ports collection working again?  I try following what is
happening in bsd.port.mk, but I get lost in the levels of
recursion. When I try to make a port I get the following messages:

chess:/usr/ports/sysutils/socket>make install
>> socket-1.1.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/.
Receiving socket-1.1.tar.gz (14426 bytes): 100%
14426 bytes transfered in 1.1 seconds  (13.25 kB/s)
>> Checksum OK for socket-1.1.tar.gz.
===>  Extracting for socket-1.1
===>  Patching for socket-1.1
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for socket-1.1
===>  Configuring for socket-1.1
===>  Building for socket-1.1
make: don't know how to make real-fetch. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Kent S. Gordon