Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:09:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Holger Bauer <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>
To:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gigabyte DX586 and Quantum Fireball TM3200

Hi,

just subscribed to this list since I am not sure if the result of my
hdparm -t /dev/sda1
 .................... 2.95 MByte/s

comes from the 7880 interface or the disk. Did some research
on this and found that some people already complained about slow
Fireball SCSI disks (in linux.dev.scsi). These people had been using
Adaptec 2940 UW Controllers. Since the German c't magazine tested the
Fireball with some other Controller and also found a very slow
interface I might believe the error comes from the disk SCSI
interface.

Could anybody with a Adaptec 2940 (7880) and a Quantum Fireball TM
series disk send me his results on
hdparm -tT /dev/sdXX

?

After that I might complain to Quantum. Maybe anybody on this list who
could test the Fireball w/ some other controller?

Thanks a lot.

Holger

|  Holger Bauer     | Univ. of Stuttgart         |
|  Dipl.-Ing.       | 70550 Stuttgart, Germany   |
|  phone +49.711.685-3543, FAX +49.711.685-3280  |
|  http://www.itsm.uni-stuttgart.de/staff/bauer/ |
 "Experience comes from bad judgment" Mark Twain