Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 12:36:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Early <earlyjp@cs.purdue.edu>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape / aout woes :(

Dennis,
  Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I installed the binaries
as directed in

	http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/RELNOTES11.html#11

At that point, the only things on the machine were FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE and
XFree86 3.3.3.1. It was at this point that I tried to install Netscape
4.5. Originally, I got an error when running netscape that a particular
shared library could not be found. If I remember correctly, it was
libXt.so.6.1. Anyway, I updated /etc/rc.local and ldconfig as shown
in my previous post, and the result is the new error message(below).

  At this point, I'd like to know if this can be resolved without
re-installing XFree86 from source. It is implied in the instructions for
XFree86 that the a.out shared libraries are included with the binary
release, but perhaps this in not the case?

  If the recommendation is to reinstall from source, that's what I'll do.
However, is there documentation available on how to do this properly so
that the shared libraries are installed?

Thanks,
Jim