Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:09:17 +0400
From:      Ruslan Mahmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@dougbarton.us>
Cc:        churanov.port.maintainer@gmail.com, FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with new boost

Doug Barton wrote on 15.07.2012 08:09:
> On 07/13/2012 13:22, Ruslan Mahmatkhanov wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote on 27.05.2012 13:33:
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> I maintain net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar*, and net-p2p/qbittorrent29.
>>> Ever since the update I've noticed that my libtorrent-rasterbar
>>> applications have problems with the new boost version. Rebuilding the
>>> library against boost 1.45 solves it.
>>>
>>> I don't know exactly what the problem is, but the symptom is that the
>>> application gets "slow," and eventually just freezes up altogether. It
>>> starts with the UI being slow to respond, with increasing pauses between
>>> by. Eventually as I said above the whole thing just freezes. No response
>>> on the UI, no network traffic, no ktrace activity, nothing.
>>>
>>> If you can give me suggestions on how to diagnose this I'd be glad to
>>> help.
>>>
>>> Doug
>>
>> Should be ok now. But net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar* need to be rebuilt.
>
> I can confirm that this works as expected now, so thank you thank you
> thank you thank you! :)  I was pulling my hair out trying to find a
> combination of things I could use to diagnose where the problem was. Has
> anyone sent this upstream?

It's Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br> (submitter of ports/169755), not me to
thank :). I didn't reported upstream. And looking at the fix - as far I
understand it actually just updating our local FreeBSD-specific changes
according to upstream changes. So I think that all our local patches (16
items) should be sent upstream for review/inclusion, because we can come
up to another weird behaviour with future boost updates. But
unfortunately I'm not the proper person to do that (I'm not sure what
this patches do and can't substantiate their necessity to upstream).

>> Would you please bump portrevision for this ports?
>
> I will definitely do that when the tree is unfrozen, just one issue. The
> (perfectly reasonable) change you made in common.mk did not actually
> result in PORTREVISION being bumped, although it's not clear to me why.
> It looks like in the past adding PORTREVISION to boost-libs/Makefile is
> how this was done, and testing that theory just now makes PKGNAME do the
> right thing.
>
> I've got a libtorrent-rasterbar-16 update ready to go, so if you haven't
> gotten to the PORTREVISION problem before I do when the tree is
> unfrozen, I plan to make that change.
>
> Once again, thank you for working on this, I'm really excited to have
> this fixed, and my users will be too. :)
>
> Doug

I see that you already fixed that, thanks. To be honest I didn't checked
where PORTREVISION bumps were added before, so just put it to the place
looked logically to me, sorry.

--
Regards,
Ruslan