Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:01:25 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Michael Kenneth Henry <mhenry@black.ug.cs.usyd.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 -> 3.1 Questions

On Monday, 26 April 1999 at 12:06:29 +1000, Michael Kenneth Henry wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> 	I recently upgraded from 2.2.6 to 3.1.
>
> I notice that the directory /modules exists. Does this replace the
> directory /lkm?

Yes.  3.1 uses klds instead of LKMs.  From the user viewpoint, they're
the same thing.

> Are the files /etc/{daily,weekly,monthly} replaced by the files in
> /etc/periodic?

In principle, yes.

> (Can I delete them without ill effect?)

That depends on what you have in your /etc/crontab.  If you've
modified any of these files, you'll probably want to merge the
changes.

> In the LINT configuration file, there is mention of "coloring" under
> "Optimizations for VM subsystem". What is coloring?

IIRC it's a method of marking pages which are used for different
purposes, and it's used in order to better optimize the VM system.

> Should I use it?

I don't think so.  The last time it was discussed on -hackers, it was
not evident that it was of any advantage, and it's liable to change in
the future.

> Another question about the Unix Users Supplementary Documents (USD)
> and Programmers Supplementary Documents (PSD): Why are many of these
> documents missing?

Copyright problems.

> I'd *really* like to have some of these documents on my system,
> (like "An Introduction to the UNIX Shell" by Steve Bourne and the
> SED and AWK docs), but they're missing.

It's possible there are some of these things on the web.  Dennis
Ritchie (http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/dmr/) has recently been putting
up a lot of this stuff (which originally came from the Seventh Edition
of the manual), but I couldn't find it offhand.  If you follow the
copious links on his home page, you might be lucky, though.  You can
also get them (and a whole lot of other stuff, including every BSD
version ever made) if you buy a private ancient UNIX source license from
SCO for $100.  See http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/getlicense.html
for more details.

Greg