Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 11:24:11 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE (Christoph Kukulies), freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multi-version FS

In message <199802171012.DAA09362@usr07.primenet.com>, Terry Lambert writes:
>> Yesterday I had a visit from some sales people of Rational Technologies
>> who are offering a version control/management under NT (named ClearCase)
>> which is kind of GUI based (explorer centric) and which establishes a
>> multi version FS under NT (they say 'developed by the people who
>> designed the VMS file system' - well, I cannot judge if this can be
>> considered a big plus :-). Anyway, is there such a thing as a
>> MVFS (multi version FS) under FreeBSD and would it be worth
>> taking a look at it ?
>

>Versioning operates by creating a namespace incursion into the globbing
>namespace.
>
>The biggest problem with a multiversion FS is that globbing on
>NT, 95, DOS, and VMS systems is done in the directory lookup system
>call instead of in the shell.

The biggest problem with putting your version control in the kernel
(as a filesystem or otherwise) is that it doesn't belong there.

If somebody thinks they need the kernel in order to implement version
control, they are 100% out of their mind or so fixated on mainframe
methods that they should be allowed to wither in a badly lit corner
of the IT industry.

Check out www.perforce.com instead for a MUCH better solution to the
version control problem.

And before you ask, yes I >do< speak from experience gained the
expensive way.

"Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"