Date:      Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:06:24 -0700
From:      "Shawn Workman" <shawn@holdenz.com>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sharing memory between processes.

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01BFD979.D2E27570

Hello,
    I am coming up against a road block in porting an application from a =
win32 platform to FreeBSD.  The problem I am having is due to the fact =
that FreeBSD protects it's memory more that NT for example.

    Is there a way to give a client app access to another apps memory?  =
the way it is done in the win32 app is to basically have the client =
check for the existance of the server if it exists it grabs a pointer to =
it's memory and therefore gains access to all the functions that the =
server has in memory as well as data structures.

    Is there anyway to do this using FreeBSD 4.0 Stable? =20

    I have used the shm* functions and from what I see I am limited to =
the number of shared memory pointers I can have.

    I would really appreciate any help that could be provided here.  I =
have been looking at the possibility of an lkm but hear that this can =
cause the system to become unstable..

Thank you for any insight to this problem.

------=_NextPart_000_0070_01BFD979.D2E27570

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am coming up =
against a road=20
block in porting an application from a win32 platform to FreeBSD.&nbsp; =
The=20
problem I am having is due to the fact that FreeBSD protects it's memory =
more=20
that NT for example.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there a way to =
give a client=20
app access to another apps memory?&nbsp; the way it is done in the win32 =
app is=20
to basically have the client check for the existance of the server if it =
exists=20
it grabs a pointer to it's memory and therefore gains access to all the=20
functions that the server has in memory as well as data =
structures.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Is there anyway to =
do this using=20
FreeBSD 4.0 Stable?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I have used the shm* =
functions=20
and from what I see I am limited to the number of shared memory pointers =
I can=20
have.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I would really =
appreciate any=20
help that could be provided here.&nbsp; I have been looking at the =
possibility=20
of an lkm but hear that this can cause the system to become=20
unstable..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you for any insight to this=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>