Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 20:46:25 -0800
From:      Bill Huey (Hui) <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freebsdfoundation.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, bod@freebsdfoundation.org, brian@collab.net, calvin.austin@sun.com, rwatson@freesbsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:22:00PM -0700, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
> Bill,
>
> The FreeBSD Foundation is a corporation.  It is not politically affiliated
> with anyone.  The Foundation decided to expedite the completion of a
> binary release of the 1.4.1 JDK and JRE that FreeBSD users could easily
> install.  It chose Alexey to aid in that goal and gave him full permission to

I understand that and I don't object to the decision. I've worked with
him before and it hasn't really been a serious problem between me and
him that wasn't fixable with more communication.

> release any SASL based work back to the FreeBSD Java effort.  We could have
> easily switched to using Sun partner only sources and completed this all
> in a back room, and considering your reaction that might have been

You failed to understand how this project works. It's always been
open...let me clarify...

> much, much easier.  Instead we decided to share this funded work with
> the community so that it could be incorperated into other ports for
> other platforms.  That's the whole story.  No conspiracies.  No politics.

What you don't understand is that your group was manipulate some how,
consciously or unconsciously by folks in our group, FreeBSD Java, without
your group asking or knowing the context of events and my involvement with
the FreeBSD Java group. That's possibly a new situation to deal with for
the Foundation, but it should have been researched and political roles
should have been clarified before any financial commitment.

Since Dec 2001, I was pretty much the only heavy technical lead in the
project. Alexey wouldn't have even been able to do this if I didn't, on my
own time and money, the insane work that HotSpot required to complete and
idealistic goal of getting a world class J2SE port to FreeBSD. I should at
least be credited with that. This compiler is a prerequist for all work in
J2SE 1.4.1

This project has always been open to all and was largely driven by a pure
volunteer effort, but because of how Nate (I'm just finding out) and other
folks function recently, your group, IMO, was exploited in what seems like
a sneeky political move to pad a certain kind of political position that
never was his to begin with...

That's was just assumed because of his attitude and false confidence about
the matter, but he's not the official leader of this group, in fact, nobody
is. The failure here is that the Foundation didn't recognize this and
clarified his, mine, others... involvement in this group.

That's the tragedy here. Do you understand what's going on ?

> Just three guys running a non-profit in their spare time, funding things
> they feel will benefit the FreeBSD community.  If you don't like what the
> Foundation is doing, don't send us any donations.  It's really that simple.

If John Polstra was responsible he would have found *all* of what I said
relevant to the course of the grant process and recognize this importance,
period. That's what group leaders do, which is conveniently dismissed in
this case, minus his role to mediate these kind of disagreements.

The Foundation itself potentially has a greater function that what is
currently been put forth, if the individual were responsible, they
wouldn't be resistent to group input from the FreeBSD community, not his
point of view purely.

That's partially my point of view.

bill