Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:52:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call to arms..-SMP (fwd)

> > Not much assembly is need. All we need to do is to make SYSCALL_LOCK a nop,
> > and handle the locking in syscall() the C function.
>
> Don't even do it here; put the lock acquisitions/releases in the
> syscall implementation functions themselves.

Last time I looked, portions of the trap code and the signal
trampoline were not process reentrant.  This should not be
done until they are, since a user space call conversion
scheduler or use of async system calls (e.g. aioread) that
occurred simultaneously with a subsequent call could result
in a kernel stack corruption of the already pending async
call.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---