Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 22:31:07 -0600
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   USR Modem heat and silo overflows?

Relevant specs:
 FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE
 US Robotics Sportster 56K external
 486/133
 sio0 port speed: 115200

After about a week of continuous online operation with user mode ppp,
FreeBSD began reporting silo overflow messages.  I had been downloading
significant amounts of data prior to these messages with no problem.  No
changes have occurred to this machine since early March.

After several boots and reconnections, the silo overflow messages
persisted and got worse.  I shut the modem off and left it alone for a
bit.  When I returned about an hour later, the messages stopped.
Several hours later they began appearing again.

Due to prior experiences with USR modems I suspected a heat problem with
the modem.  I shut it off, pointed a small desk fan at the device and
waited a bit.  About 10 minutes later, the modem functioned with no silo
overflows.

My question is; could a heat problem with an external modem manifest
itself as an silo overflow?  I know diagnosing heat related problems is
not an exact science, but the cause/effect/workaround of this case
_seems_ pretty clear.  My anecdotal experience with USR and heat
problems tends to reinforce my guess.

I'm more concerned with avoiding these sort of problems than saving
money; what brands/models of external asynchronous modems would you
recommend for FreeBSD?

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Lurking at the bottom of the
  allenc@verinet.com   |   gravity well, getting old.