Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:52:36 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PTHREADS install on 4.7

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 12:32:13AM -0800, Peter Black wrote:

> I have been running into problems getting Apache 2.0.43 to work with PHP
> 4.2.3 as a module. The following is the error I get ...
>
> "Cannot load /usr/local/APACHE/modules/libphp4.so into server:
> /usr/local/APACHE/modules/libphp4.so: Undefined symbol
> "pthread_getspecific"
>
> Having said that, I did my research and found that many have come across
> the same error and managed to get passed it by installing pthreads. This
> is where my question comes in. I installed(?) pthreads and I still get
> the same error. Perhaps I am not installing it globally, but rather,
> locally (/usr/local/PTHREADS). How do I install pthreads system wide?

pthread_getspecific() is a standard POSIX.1 function that comes with
FreeBSD already.  In general, to use pthreads in programs, all that is
needed is to compile using the '-pthreads' flag to cc(1).  If you
compile from ports, all that sort of thing should be set up correctly
for you.  You can install mod_php4 with apache2 from ports by:

    cd /usr/ports/www/mod_php4
    make -DWITH_APACHE2 install

Note too that you may occasionally need to rebuild mod_php4 if you
update apache2.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way