Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:39:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "John J. Rushford" <wjjr@sapphire.alisa.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 Installation Woes

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, John J. Rushford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem installing ports/packages from the
> Walnut Creek 2.1.5 Cdroms.  It seems that since the ports and packages
> reside on different CD's, the sysinstall utility does not work properly.
> I've given up on using it and have begun to install ports/packages
> manually.
>
> When installing manually, I have to copy the ports files off the cdrom
> onto the hard disk.  I'm using 'make install' and a 'work' directory is
> expected and cannot be created naturally on the cdrom.  Is there
> anything I can do differently to get around this?

You should copy the directory for the port you're interested in to the
hard disk.   Use 'cp -R /cdrom/ports/category/port ~/port' to copy it to
your home directory.  Then do 'cd port' and 'make' to build the port.

> Right now, my biggest problem seems to be the absence of 'imake'.  It
> doesn't appear to be on any of the CD's and my manual installation
> tactics have failed when trying to install 'apsfilter' which depends
> on 'trasfig' which depends on 'xpm' which requires 'imake' (Frustration,
> Frustration, Frustration).  I didn't seem to have so much trouble with
> 2.1.0.

Imake comes with XFree86.  If you edit apsfilter's Makefile, you could
strip out the make for trasfig.  I'm surprised that's in there; last time
I built it xpm wasn't part of the package.

You may also try installing the package, which is pre-built.  (apsfilter
is a shell script anyway)

> Anyway, I can't read the FreeBSD newsgroups and get any help as I can't
> install 'cnews', 'inn', 'tin', etc...

The mailing list is just as good as the newsgroup.  (I don't really care
that much for news or the newsreaders.)