Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:29:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@online.barbour-index.co.uk>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change

Well - It needs to be done sooner or later.. if the -current changes have
been around for a while, then it's better for the rest of us to get used
to this right now.  I'm just not sure how to make it work, that's all.

Perhaps a script to suggest nescesary changes would be useful?  I assume
that sysinstall now puts the right entries in fstab?

Also - can someone tell me what the "kernel root on..." option should be
now?  the GENERIC configuration still has this as wd0.  Is this right?

Cheers.

Scot.

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:05:25 -0600
> From: Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
> To: Scot Elliott <scot@online.barbour-index.co.uk>
> Cc: stable@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
> Subject: Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change
>
> At 7:30 AM -0600 3/17/98, Scot Elliott wrote:
> >So I had to give up and revert to 2.2.5-STABLE..  The machine's miles
> >away so it's kind of hard to test these things.  Anyone got any ideas?
>
> Keep "hammering" on Mike Smith. His changes caused the problem.
> I fear that he will view the early "it's great" comments as approval.
> However, the sample is EXTREMELY BIASED toward individuals who closely
> track things. If this change gets into the distribution, I expect there
> to be a significant number of users who get "bitten" by the same situation.
> And they don't even know that this discussion is taking place.
>
> Richard Wackerbarth

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)171 7046777
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019