Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 21:31:23 -0700
From:      "Mike Roberts" <zoarre@bigfoot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bash startup scripts

I'm trying to make bash's startup files work, and the behavior that my
installation exhibits does not seem to match the documentation that I have:

- The book, "The Complete FreeBSD" claims that bash executes '.profile', and
then '.bashrc'.
- The bash man page claims that it executes '.bash_profile' on login, and
'.bashrc' for each shell (login shell also?).
- My installation (the package installed with sysinstall) executes
'.profile' on login, and executes '.bashrc' only when I execute bash again
from the login shell.

Which behavior is correct? What do to obtain the proper behavior?

Thanks in advance for any answers. :)

--
Mike Roberts
Email: zoarre@bigfoot.com