Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 17:04:30 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        nick@calyx.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WinNT to FreeBSD

On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:09:29 -0400
Nicholas Merrill <nick@calyx.net> wrote:

nick> Actually I heard it wasn't possible to track any information
nick> like that with FreeBSD.  That may be the one edge that NT has in
nick> this competition. <g>

Is the original poster using RADIUS for dialup authentication? RADIUS
accounting will log all kinds of stuff like login/logout times,
connect time, packets in/out, bytes in/out, etc.

I wrote some perl to to log analysis for an Ascend Max running
Ascend's version of RADIUS. You can pick it up from my work at
http://www.it.hq.nasa.gov/~cshenton/radacct

(I've had some people say IE couldn't or wouldn't download it without
mangling it; maybe hitting the mouse button that forces download
rather than trying to render or start a helper app would do the
trick).

It's somewhat specific to our environment at NASA HQ, but a
predecessor I wrote earlier parses RADIUS longs from a Livingston and
runs on FreeBSD quite happily.