Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:37:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, (Kris Kennaway) <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Breaking up make.conf

On 08-Mar-01 Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:32:08AM -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> > I've though about this on and off over the years, and would actually
>> > like to see src/make.conf or src/world.conf and remove the /etc
>> > dependecy.  The major reason is that I often have more than one
>> > src tree on a build system and I have to screw around with /etc/make.conf
>> > if build environments are different.
>> >
>> > This can be implemented by a simple backtrace up the tree from any
>> > level looking for make.conf, terminating either when we find one,
>> > or when we hit /.
>>
>> In other words, pretty much exactly what I was talking about, except
>> you put your world.conf in src/ where I put it in /etc :-)
>
> Pretty much.  I think you can elimiate the need for the additional
> ../Makefile.inc using a .for loop just hunting for the make.conf,
> it just seems silly to me to need to add 91 one line Makefile.inc's
> to get this to work.

What if I want to use /etc/release.conf for clean release builds and
/etc/currentworld.conf for current, etc.?  If it's a tweakable variable name in
/etc/make.conf (or overridable on the command line to make buildworld of
course) then the ../Makefile.inc hack will allow me to stick this file anywhere
with any name, rather than forcing it to be in the path of the source tree.