Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:16:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Sten Spans <sten@blinkenlights.nl>
To:        Jason Mann <jason-freebsdlists@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hme driver acting strangely

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Jason Mann wrote:

> I have further information on this issue now.
>
> I've just fitted a Sun qfe card to the machine, and the 4 ports are detected
> as hme2 thru hme5.
>
> This card does appear to negotiate full-duplex mode with the switch, and my
> services can still listen on udp ports on that interface when it is in this
> mode.
>
> If I try forcing full-duplex, the problem comes back.
>
> So, to summarise:
>
> - Old hme's won't auto negotiate, confirming Tom's comment. Only way to get
>   them in full-duplex mode is to force it.

hme just aint all that, the bugger is that it's the most tested driver on
sparc, em for instance is totally borken.

> - New hme's/qfe's DO auto negotiate, so theres no need to force them to
>   full-duplex.
>
> - Any time you force full-duplex on an hme driven interface, udp ports
>   can't be listened on.

This is a bug somewhere in freebsd, iirc it was discused quite a while
back on this list. Someone will have to do some more digging to see
wether this is a new bug, or allready solved in current.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem