Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 2018 08:58:24 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin@shxd.cx>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>, dteske@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feedback on proposed loader changes

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 1:51 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>=20
> --------
> In message <CANCZdfoF4M1k=3DwOzueg0KQk9tRoQT-hO0SrB51wxv=3D-n3ESiUw@mail.g=
mail.com>, Warner Losh writes:
>=20
>> So I'd like feedback on two questions: Should I kill the forth features I=

>> oulined above? And should I make the build system build multiple loaders
>> with a link controlling the default?
>=20
> I think you should just move forward and go for the end-stage
> without too many temporary bandaids.
>=20
> The loader is pretty decoupled from everything, so in case anybody
> needs any of these Forth cornercases, they can use 11.X loader with
> very little, if any, trouble.
>=20

As a person that both reviewed the GSoC code you are working with (in-depth;=
 including a list of short-comings) and the most likely person to bring it u=
p-to-par after it is committed, I have 2 opinions:

1. Please allow both boot systems for a while so that the lua-based menu can=
 be made as feature full as the Forth menu. Example: submenus were added in =
Forth long after the GSoC lua project had ended

2. Please don=E2=80=99t force us to run Lua until I can code the new feature=

And as the principal author of the Forth menu since 9.0:

3. Please give me a way to run my code (at the very least until I can bring t=
he Lua up to snuff; and if I can=E2=80=99t just let me run Forth in-perpetui=
ty).

Interrupting boot1 so I can drive the system in the pre-boot Execution env i=
s very important to me.
=E2=80=94=20
Devin=