Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:31:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        Troy Kittrell <troyk@basspro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Squid -2

On 19-Jan-99 My Secret Spies Reported That Nicole Harrington  wrote:

> On 19-Jan-99 My Secret Spies Reported That Troy Kittrell  wrote:
>> I need to (ASAP, as usual) fire up a proxy server. I would prefer a
>> Un*x based solution rather that MS Proxy server, but need to plan for
>> the future. Squid seems to be the (proxy) drug of choice. That future
>> holds several hundred users that I'd much rather manage the
>> username/passwd from a centralized location (LDAP!).
>>   I've gleaned the docs for Squid and can find nothing that indicates
>> that users can be authenticated from an LDAP server. LDAP seems to be
>> the only choice I could try to use that all of our other corporate
>> services (AS/400, Notes, NT Domains, Netware) can share.
>>   The purpose of the proxy server is not actually to cache and conserve
>> bandwidth, but as a means to limit access from our corporate network to
>> the internet. So far this has been accomplished quite well by a POS/486
>> runnning FreeBsd/ipfw/natd. I'm tired of adding rules to rc.firewall
>> plus NT Domains w/DHCP doesn't actually limit people. All they have to
>> do is go to a machine that gets an (ipfw) allowed address from DHCP and
>> they're on.
>>
>>   Hints? Clues? Experiences?
>>

>  Why would you want to use LDAP?
>  Usually you filter by Ip address range.
>  Seems odd having to enter a password to browse the web.
>
>   Just my .02c
>
>    Nicole

 Actually.. This is what comes from not reading a post fully. >:<

 Being of more sound mind..

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-10.html States:

10.2 How do I block specific users or groups from accessing my cache?

Proxy Authentication

Another option is to use proxy-authentication.

    1.Recompile squid with -DUSE_PROXY_AUTH=1. Uncomment USE_PROXY_AUTH in
src/Makefile.

               make clean
               vi src/Makefile
               make
               make install

    2.Configure proxy authentication in squid.conf.

               proxy_auth /usr/local/squid/etc/passwd

       passwd is an apache-style file of passwords for authenticated proxy
access Looks like username:password, with the password being standard crypt()
format.

    3.Create the passwd file and give the passwords to your users. You can use
apache's htpasswd program to generate and maintain the passwd file. The
usernames in the passwd file do not need to correspond to
       system user names. You may give many people the same username and
password combination to access your cache.

 There that's better...

   Nicole

          nicole@nmhtech.com | http://www.webweaver.net/
webmistress@dangermouse.org  | http://www.dangermouse.org