Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:28:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   LOCALBASE vs PREFIX

OK.  I have a question.  I did the following and it failed:

	setenv PREFIX /fs/gerbils
	sudo mkdir $PREFIX
	cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk12
	make all install

<fails to find glib>

It appears that the gtk12 makefile is using LOCALBASE rather than
PREFIX to find things.

If I set LOCALBASE and PREFIX in the above sequence, it works.

So, is there a bug here?  Or am I misunderstanding what PREFIX is for?
Reading bsd.port.mk, LOCALBASE is in a section that says it should
rarely, if ever, be set.  Is this one of those rare times?

Warner