Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2012 08:30:53 -0400
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

,--- Beat Gaetzi (Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:36:32 +0200) ----*
| All users who use CVS or CVSup to update the ports tree are
| encouraged to switch to portsnap(8) [1] or for users which need more
| control over their ports collection checkout use Subversion directly

I just switched to 'svn'-ports on an existing system.

The question: When I install the base system on a new machine, where
do I get 'svn' for the first ports tree fetch?  'svn' is not becoming
a part of 'base', right?

I know I can copy it from one of my existing systems but what's the
official vision for this first step?  portsnap?

Also, with 'csup' I could exclude a large part of the ports tree from
updates with my 'csup.conf file, e.g.:

  # ports-vietnamese

I assume this is no longer possible, right?

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --